Última actualización: 19/12/2014
One of the most appreciated activities by tourist in Menorca are the handmade markets. In Menorca you can visit different markets and fairs, in winter and summer, where it’s possible to buy all kind of handmade products and typical food of the island.
Each town has its own dates for its markets, although many of them happen to be the same day during summer.
It’s important to check with the local people or with some tourim information office the dates of the markets because as they are not permanent and the expected date and place where are held can change. Here you have a list of the markets and fairs by town, updated at the end of 2014:
Contenidos del artículo
In Ciutadella there are 4 well known markets in summer. (source Ciutadella’s government)
- FIRAC: The handmade products market. From July 15th to September 15th, Monday to Saturday from 20.00 to 01.00. (Costa Marina of the Ciutadella’s Port)
- Mercado de Capllonc:The other market in the port, perfect to buy cheap non handmade souvenirs . From June 1st to September 31st, everyday from 17.00 to 24.00 (Ciutadella’s Port Stairs)
- Handmade market of Cathedral’s Square: The less frequented handmade market. From August 1st to September 31st, every monday from 19.00 to 24.00 (Cathedral’s Square)
- Mercadillo ambulante Es Born:Market placed in the center of Ciutadella where they sell mainly clothes. Since the summer of 2014 it isn’t very crear where it will be held as the government of Ciutadella doesn’t want such a central location to be occupied. Fridays and Saturdays from 08.00 to 15.00 (Es Born Square, in 2014 the location changes).
- Market of the Claustre del Carme: It’s a traditional market with different stands of fresh products from the island. In summer there are activities and concerts in the square. (Claustro del Carme)
- Mercado del Peix (Fish Market): Market of fresh fish. All seasons of the year, from Tuesday to Saturday from 07.30 to 14.00 (España Square)
- Itinerant Market of S’esplanada: Traditional itinerant market where they sell basically clothes and decoration. Tuesdays ans Saturdays of all year from 08.30 to 14.00
- Itinerant Market of Rochina Park: Itinerant Market of the port of Maó where they sell clothes and complements during the tourist season. From May 1st to October 31st, all days from 10.00 to 20.00 (It’s unknown yet where the market will be held in 2015)
- Handmade Market of Maó: Market of handmade products produced by the residents of Menorca, the same as the FIRAC in Ciutadella. From June 15th to August 31st, Wednesdays from 10.00 to 14.00 (España Square)
- Agromaó: Sustainable traditional food products Market of Menorca. From April 1st to November 31st, Sundays from 10.00 to 14.00 (In 2013 they moved to Claustro del Carme)
- Christmas Fair: Fair of christmas products. The first weekend of December from 11.00 to 21.00 (Conquesta Square)
- Exchange and second hand Market – MIM: Market where books are exchanged and where you can make workshops and cooking activities. No date established, check in the website of MIM.
Alaior has only two makets that open only during the summer season. (source: Alaior government)
- Itinerant Market of Cala en Porter: Itinerant market where you can buy textiles, shoes, furniture, food, etc. From May 1st to October 31st, Mondays and Tuesdays from 19.00 to 23.00 (Mevis Square)
- Night Market of Alaior: Handmade market of Alaior, very crowded, there are cultural activities, product tasting, music, workshops, etc. From June 26th to September 4th every Wednesday from 19.00 to 23.00 (Center of the town: Es Ramal, Sa Plaça, Coll des Palamer, Es Forn, Carrer Major and La Sala)
Although they aren’t very popular, Es Castell has 3 temporal markets. Two of them are held during the touristic season and the other one is during winter.
- Market of Cales Fonts: From June 1st to September 31st all days of the week from 20.00 to 02.00
- Creative Handmade Market: Another handmade market available during summer. From June 1st to August 31st all Mondays from 19.00 to 00.00 (Mirande de Calasfonts Street)
- Second hand market:Market of second hand objects during the winter season. From November 1st to May 31st from 19.00 to 23.00 (Esplanada Square)
Es Mercadal is another town that with several maket and fairs during all seasons of the year. Up to 7 markets which 3 of them are held in summer. There is actually too much market supply in Es Mercadal in my opinion (Source: Es Mercadal government)
- Agrifood and Handmade Market of winter: From February 1st to May 31st, Tuesdays from 10.00 to 13.00 (Nou Street)
- Agrifood and Handmade Market of summer: From June 1st to September 31st, Tuesdays from 19.00 to 22.00 (Pare Camps Square, Major Street)
- Market in fairs: Al Sundays with fair, Sundays from 10.00 to 13.30 (Nou Street)
- Itinerant Market: From October 1st to May 31st, Sundays from 10.00 to 13.30 (Pare Camps Square)
- Street Itinerant Market: From June 1st to September 31st, Wednesday from 10.00 to 14.00 (Roques Street)
- Agrifood Market of summer: From June 1st to September 31st, Mondays from 19.00 to 23.00 (Major Street)
- Agrifood Market of winter: From October 1st to May 31st, alternate Sundays from 10.00 to 14.00 (Major Street)
Es Migjorn Gran
Es Migjorn has just one handmade market (source: menorca’s journal):
- Handmade Market “Dimarts as Migjorn”: Very successfull handmade market due to the combination of stands with cultural activities and workshops. From Junse 1st to August 31st, Fridays from 19.00 to 23.00 (Central Streets)
Ferreries has just one market, it’s held in the afternoon, during summer and very successfull (source: ultima hora)
- Night Market: The popular Night Market of Ferreries in the central streets of the town. From July 1st to August 31st, Fridays from 19.00 to 23.00 (Central streets)
Fornells, the ghost town during winter, has two summer makets.
- Handmade Market: Fornells Handmade Market. From May 1st to October 31st, Saturdays and Sundays from 20.00 (Mar Street)
- Street Market: The Street Market of Ses Roques. From May 1st to October 31st, Tuesdays from 08.00 to 14.00 (Ses Roques Street)