Son Bou Beach
Última actualización: 15/12/2019
Son Bou is the largest beach in Menorca and therefore one of the areas with the highest concentration of tourists and shops during the summer months.
Son Bou is 8 km from the center of Alaior,and just behind the beach there is the urbanization of Son Bou, one of the largest in Menorca.
The beach of Son bou measures in total 2.4km from end to end,has a very fine white sand and shallow water that make the turquoise color of the water stand out a lot.
- Type:Semi-Urban Beach
- Services: Lifeguard, 3 Chiringuitos, Kayak rental, sun loungers, etc.
- Summer occupancy: 4/5 (the higher the more people there are)
- Surface* of the beach: 32.098 m2 (* Estimate. The surface changes every year)
- Walking Access: 100 meters (3 min)
- Nearest parking: 100 meters (Urbanization of Son Bou)
- Previous Beach: Talis
- Next Beach:Llucalari
- Is it in the Camí de Cavalls?No
How to Get to Son Bou
Getting to Son Bou is very easy both by car and by bike. On the general road, whether you are going in the direction of Maó or in the direction of Ciutadella you can see clearly indicated the detours towards Son Bou,you only have to follow them.
- Map – from Ciutadella to Son Bou (41 km – 40min)
- Map – from Maò to Son Bou (20 km – 23min)
On the beach there is free parking that is usually crowded during the summer months (if you don’t get there really early in the morning, around 9am). In addition to the free parking on the beach, there are free parking spots throughout the urbanization, so in the worst case you will have to walk about 10 minutes to reach the beach.
You can also get to Son Bou by bus (line 32)
In Son Bou you have more than 2km of sand to plant the towel. A peculiarity of this beach is that you can only access the sand by one end of the beach. This means that if you walk a little towards the end of the beach you will find areas with fewer people (most people stay at the beginning of the beach).
Hiking from Son Bou
If you are a fan of hiking you are in luck,because Son Bou is part of the official path of the Camí de Cavalls. If you walk along the beach towards Santo Tomás (looking at the sea, to the right) you can reach the small beach of Talis,separated only by a small wall of dry wall from the beach of Son Bou. If you keep walking you can get to St. Thomas beach.
Chiringuitos (Beach Bars) in Son Bou
If your like beach bars you’re also lucky. In Son Bou you can find 3 beach bars right at the beach:
- Ses Garces
- Ses Grulles
- Es Corb Marí.
Son Bou with Family
Son Bou is a very good choice for families with young children for several reasons:
- It is very easy to get there by car and park near the beach: if you go with children who can get tired fast you will not have problems.
- the water has little depth and the beach is very large: children can play in many areas of the shore. Remember that there are more than 2km of beach!
- There are many services: Being in a very touristic area, you have beach bars where you can buy water, shops where you can buy toys and accessories for the beach, etc.