Cala Pregonda is one of the best known and appreciatedbeaches in Menorca. This cala, located in the north, is a bit different from those that can be found in Menorca both by the color of its sand,golden or red, and by the different islets that protect it from the swell.
The water of the beach is totally crystal clear when the sea is calm, and being there gives you a different feeling from other beaches. Did you know that Cala Pregonda has been the cover of two Mike Oldfield albums?
- Orientation: East
- Type: Virgin Beach
- Services: None
- Summer occupancy: 3/5 (the higher the number the more people there are)
- Surface* of the beach: 6.153 m2 (* Estimate. The surface changes every year)
- Access on foot: 1.7 km (35 minutes)
- Nearest car park: 1.7 km (35 minutes) – Parking in Binimel·là.
- Previous Beach: Pregondó
- Next Beach: Pregonda Escull
- Is it located in the Camí de Cavalls?: Yes
How to get to Cala Pregonda
To drive to Pregonda you have to take the road from Es Mercadal to Fornells, and after a few kilometers, before reaching Fornells, you take the turnoff towards the beach of Cavalleria.
- Then, it is quite easy, you just need to follow the signs towards Binimel-la and park in the free parking. For more details you can consult the map at the end of the information section.
- There is a road that reaches Pregonda, but it is a private one. Therefore, the only option to reach Pregonda by car is driving to the the parking of Binimel·la, and then walking to Pregonda. Of course, you can reach Pregonda by boat too.
- The journey to Cala Pregonda is a bit hard,as it takes about 35 minutes in the sun through rocky terrain (through the famous camí de cavalls,and some ups and downs that can leave you K.O. at 2 pm
Get to Pregonda by Sea in a Catamaran (65 €)
If you want to take a boat trip to Pregonda, a very good option is a Catamaran. The advantages of going on a catamaran are:
- You don’t have to walk: you save 35 minutes of walking and you can go with your family without anyone complaining.
- You can carry a lot more weight and equipment: for a snorkel fan like me, being able to bring all the equipment without loading it on foot is magnificent. You can also bring your neverita or your photography equipment 😉
- The sun gives you face: if you are in Pregonda sunbathing, and from noon onwards it hits you full in the back. That doesn’t happen by boat!
Once on the beach of Pregonda, there are no services of any kind,so it is better to bring enough water and food in case you stay several hours.
- One of the peculiarities of this beach is that the sun usually hits your back from a certain time,which is uncomfortable for some people.
- If you like snorkeling,it is advisable to wear a mask. There is a wide variety of fish on the sides of the beach, but they are not very large.
From Pregonda you can see the Cavalleria Lighthouse
From the same beach, if you look closely, it is possible to see the lighthouse of Cavalleria,located in the northernmost part of Menorca.
If you go to cala Pregonda, just before you go down the last slope look at the rocks that protect it from the sea. If you look at the one closest to the coast, you may see the silhouette of a lady “pregant” (praying) This is why this beach is called Cala Pregonda.
There’s a Natural Pool where you canJjump into the Water
And if you want to make a few jumps from cliffs,you just have to swim to the small islet that is in front of the beach.
When you reach the shore, climb to the top and you’ll see a magnificent natural pool where you can jump from. This beach has it all!! Tranquility, landscapes and jumps to the void…
Map and Points of Interest
Cala Pregonda Photos
Hotels Near Cala Pregonda
Luckily for nature lovers, Pregonda is isolated from civilization. This means that the nearest hotel is more than 10km away. Despite that, here below you will find two recommendations for staying relatively close to Pregonda:
- Agroturisme Ca Na Xini: Agrotourism in a spectacular farm that has been under the care of the same family for more than 30 years. You can tell when things are done with real passion. Rural disconnection but with wifi and free parking!
- TRH Tirant Beach: The farm alternative is great provided you can afford it. In this hotel you have quality at a more affordable price and close to Fornells, where in addition to be closer to Pregonda you can go kayaking, sailing and enjoy other sea sports.